Welcome to Legacy Law Group of Northern Virginia, PLLC in Manassas, VA
Providing Estate Planning, Estate Administration & Business Planning Services
What happens to a person’s property and assets after he or she dies or becomes incapacitated is a jigsaw puzzle. When you open the box and pour out the pieces, it is hard to know where to begin.
The probate and estate planning attorneys at Legacy Law Group of Northern Virginia are highly experienced and qualified in putting the pieces together to create a complete picture of your family’s financial future near you in Northern Virginia, including Lake Ridge, Woodbridge, Gainesville, Haymarket and all of Prince William County, as well as Spotsylvania County, Stafford County, Fauquier County, Fairfax County and the City of Fredericksburg.
Legacy Law Group of Northern Virginia is a boutique law firm established in Manassas specifically to provide estate planning, estate administration and, as necessary, fiduciary litigation services. This includes issues such as inheritance, power of attorney, living wills, estate taxes and much more involved as your estate plan attorney.
Attorneys at Legacy Law Group of Northern Virginia are recognized as leaders by their peers, including attaining the coveted AV Preeminent® rating, the highest possible by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings. In Virginia, peers perpetually recommend our attorneys for the Virginia Business magazine’s annual listing of Legal Elite.
We bring 30 years of experience in wealth transfers and tax issues to your estate planning and administration needs in Prince William County and throughout Northern Virginia. We look forward to assisting you in taking the guesswork out of your family’s financial future.
Call the Experienced Estate Planning and Administration Attorneys at Legacy Law Group of Northern Virginia
Estate planning is the wisest and most caring step any person can take to ensure that their loved ones are taken care of and their financial and health wishes are honored, upon their death or incapacity. An estate plan can resolve a number of legal questions before they even arise:
- What is the current state of the decedent’s financial affairs?
- What properties do they own and where are these properties located?
- Who will inherit what property from the estate?
- Are there any minor children who are going to require a personal guardian?
- Which taxes will need to be paid out of the estate in order to transfer the property?
- Will transferring the property require assistance of an attorney experienced with estate and trust administration?
- Which funeral and burial arrangements are needed, and who will need to pay for them?
All of the property owned by you at the time of your death, which may include real estate, bank accounts, stocks, bonds, life insurance policies, or personal property, is what makes up your estate.
"David is a brilliant attorney who is the best of the best when it comes to all Estate Planning needs. I highly recommend David to anyone seeking such legal assistance."
Why work with a Virginia Estate Planning and Estate and Trust Administration Attorney?
Leaving behind a will and an estate plan is a way to easily identify the family members, friends, and loved ones whom you want to receive your property after your death. It can also ensure that your property will be transferred to those you have identified without delay. An estate plan can also minimize the amount of taxes that will have to be paid out of your estate in order for your property to pass on. It can avoid the significant time and money associated with the probate process and decide, ahead of time, the types of medical care you want to receive, in case you become unable to make those wishes known. Should your family members find themselves facing probate in Manassas, VA, it is important that they contact an estate litigation attorney as soon as possible. Finally, a will and an estate plan can clearly define the funeral and burial arrangements you would prefer and exactly how those expenses are to be paid for.
A popular estate planning tool used to provide for your loved ones and avoid the probate process is a trust. Creating a trust does not guarantee that you will avoid probate. However, the following common types of trust can be very valuable when planned properly with your Manassas, VA estate planning and trust litigation attorney:
- Revocable Living Trust: Aims to avoid probate and often contains sub-trusts.
- Grantor Trust: Transfers property to a person or business to avoid taxes and probate.
- Irrevocable Living Trust: Transfers assets to an individual who is not competent enough to fully manage their own assets.
- Testamentary Trust: Created by the instructions within a will and used to transfer assets to a beneficiary at a specified time; does not avoid probate.
- Minor’s Trust: Passes assets to a minor child and instructs for the management of those assets until the child is old enough to be given control over them.
- Beneficiary’s Trust/Separate Share Trust/Spendthrift Trust: Allows specified trustees to manage assets for the benefit of the beneficiary; protected from creditors.
- Blind Trust: Allows a trustee to handle the assets without the knowledge of the beneficiaries in order to avoid conflicts over the contents.
- Discretionary Trust: The beneficiaries and assets are not fixed and will be determined at the discretion of the trustee.
Understanding which estate plan options are ideal for your family situation can be a very intimidating prospect. You will most definitely need to find an experienced estate planning attorney in the Manassas, VA area to guide you through the process. It is always best to take the time to consult with your Manassas, VA estate planning attorney before making any major decisions about what you want to happen when you become incapacitated or pass away, to ensure that you are in compliance with all the latest laws.
Having an estate plan in place is one of the most meaningful gifts you can provide for your family and loved ones. Making sure that your estate plan is not only in place but created legally can be difficult. An experienced Manassas, VA estate planning and litigation attorney can explain all of the options and help you meet your goals and fulfil the needs of all of your loved ones. Whether you wish to revise an existing plan or create an entirely new plan from scratch, it is always best to contact a knowledgeable estate planning attorney in Manassas, VA to get started on your estate planning.
Legacy Law Group Of Northern Virginia is ready to help you start building your customized estate plan. Our estate planning attorneys bring more than 30 years of experience to the table when they sit down with you to create your plan to care for your family. Call us today!
News & Updates
What's Happening In The Community, Our Firm And The Estate Planning And Administration Industry
Are You The Fiduciary? 12 Immediate Tasks To Protect The Estate
Are you sure you’re ready to retire? You may have a few items to address before your golden years can begin...Read More
Before You Retire, Accomplish
These 6 Tasks
If your loved one is terminally ill or recently passed on, it is natural to feel overwhelmed by many new responsibilities...Read More
Request A Consultation
8567 - D Sudley Road
Manassas, VA 20110
Phone: (571) 660-4545
Fax: (703) 492-9455